of Rights and Responsibilities
WANT PUBLIC RECORDS?
Click here for a sample
public records request
FREE PUBLIC EDUCATION
Unlawful Pupil Fees
masked as donation?
Under CA law (Ed Code section 49011), a student in public school shall not be required to pay a pupil fee for participation in any educational activity. ALL SUPPLIES, MATERIALS, AND EQUIPMENT needed to participate in educational activities, including extracurricular activities offered by the school, SHALL BE PROVIDED TO PUPILS FREE OF CHARGE.
Uniform Complaint Procedures click here.
UCPs allow citizens to file a complaint when they feel something the school has done violates the law.
A complaint can be made by writing a letter or email to an agency administrator. Complaints are most commonly made in connection with:
a. donation requests, or
b. poor, unusable, inappropriate or nonexistent instructional materials (a "Williams" UCP complaint).
If you wish to file a complaint, write a letter to your school or district administrator, describe what has happened, attach documents if possible, and explain why you feel that issue is a violation.
• Schools may not require payment of a donation on behalf of a student for any activity offered by the school
• For example, if a student is required to ride a district bus to participate in an athletic event, the student cannot be required to pay a transportation fee and funds may not be automatically deducted from team funds.
• A school may not offer "privileges" related to educational activities in exchange for money or donations. EDC section 49011(b)(4).
• Examples of what schools cannot charge for:
1. Science lab equipment or supplies;
2. PE uniforms if required to take class;
3. Participation on sports teams;
4. Books used in class;
5. Attendance at graduation ceremonies;
6. Photography or art class supplies; and
7. Summer school.
Have a question, concern or want to share experiences;
Attend a board meeting and present a public comment!
It's easy! Fill out a speaker's slip and you'll be called up when it's your time. (3 minutes to speak)
How is your school spending money - Understanding our School's site budget process will help us as a community better understand how to support our students. In order to effectively influence what we, as a community, care about we need to understand which spending decisions are made at the school level and which the district controls.
In order for us to be more informed let's start with the site budgets at each school to better understand what if costs to run these schools. The benefit of our District is each School has a personality, understanding it the site budget will help direct funds to what is important to our school community.
Historic Site Actuals and Current Year Budget